WHAT WE DO
Te Wānanga o Raukawa Foundation (the Foundation) is a unique vehicle, established through the settlement that Te Wānanga o Raukawa (TWoR) had with the Crown, to deliver on the aspirations of TWoR . The purpose of the Foundation is to promote:
- Akoranga: Teaching and learning.
- Whakahaere: Operations and administration.
- Whakatupu mātauranga: The exploration and creation of knowledge.
to maximise the contribution of the Foundation to the education and survival of Māori as a people through the provision of financial and other assistance to TWoR, the staff (including kaiāwhina) and its students.
The Foundation has grown its original settlement amount of $17.9m received in 2011 to $25.9 million (Trust Fund) (as at 30 September 2019). The Foundation Board manages and grows the Trust fund through prudent investments to deliver on the Foundation’s purposes as set out above.
The Foundation's current strategy in delivering on its purposes is to:
- Distribute annual lump sum distributions to TWoR. TWoR decide what they do with this putea within parameters set by the Foundation Board. The past two distributions made by the Foundation have been utilised by TWoR as scholarships to its students; and
- Provide annual distributions to the three Founding Iwi for projects that promote akoranga, whakahaere and whakatupu mātauranga.